On Wednesday, November 18th I offered a one hour Osteoporosis Exercise and Education Seminar called “Stop the Stoop”. During the event I presented and covered in detail 10 Tips for Osteoporosis: Stronger Bones. Stronger You. The tips were well received and I wanted to share them with you. Here they are.
If you want to attend my next Stop the Stoop seminar, I have one taking place on Tuesday, December 8th from 4:45 – 5:45 PM at NutriChem Pharmacy and Clinic. To register for the seminar call 613-721-3669. Cost is $30 + GST. Hurry. There are only a few seats available.
Here are the 10 Tips:
1. Exercise as many muscles as possible, especially around your hips and spine.
2. Make your workouts count! In the first 3 months choose a resistance level that has you fatigued by the 12th repetition. With more experience, increase the resistance level so that you fatigue by the 8th to 10th repetition.
3. Include some weight-bearing, cardio building exercises into your week.
4. Keep your bones on their toes! Mix up your workouts and try new activities.
5. Remember you are what you eat, down to the bone!
6. Identify and minimize reduced bone density from:
b. Thyroid/hormonal imbalance, and
c. Gluten sensitivity.
7. Move well, avoid slouched postures at work and at play.
8. Yoga is great, but know that certain poses increase your fracture risk and that you should modify or avoid certain Yoga poses.
9. Just because you have Osteoporosis, you should not stop moving (and living)! Stay informed and adopt bone healthy activities. The result: a stronger YOU!
10. Consult an expert. Work with a Physiotherapist, Kinesiologist, Certified Athletic Therapist knowledgeable in exercise programs for osteoporosis.
You can download a PDF cheat sheet of these 10 Tips for Osteoporosis.